We offer etched images in two different formats. Logos and line art are converted into black and white images and are etched normally. We create a stencil and any part of the design that is represented in black on the design is etched.
Photographs require a different process to be able to replicate gradients and tonal differences in your image. To achieve a photograph etching we convert the image into a half tone screen. A screen looks like small dots if inspected up close but makes your eye see the photograph unless examined closely. The screen uses a fine pattern of printed dots to give the effect of shading.
The process to convert a photograph into a screen requires extra time and effort and as such we must charge an additional fee to add a photo to your design. Adding a photograph to your design is is an additional $15. You may be charged more if your image is over sized or unusually complex.
Photographs are unique and some photos replicate into a screen process better than others. Until an image is screened and etched we can not know what the exact end result look will be. Based on our experience we can offer our opinion on whether an image will or will not turn out well and make recommendations based on our expertise. Here are some general guidelines for a picture perfect design:
- Supply us with a high resolution photograph or digital image. Images that are blurry or low resolution will not work well. We can scan a printed image for you, if your image was taken with a digital camera or phone email us the file, do not print it out on paper.
- Do not take a photograph with your phone of a photograph. Please bring us the image to scan or use a scanner and then email us the file.
- We can use both color and black and white images.
- Photographs that have busy backgrounds or people wearing clothing with an intricate pattern generally do not etch well.
- We can not guarantee that an image will replicate perfectly. Each image is unique and due to color shading and contrast variations some photos may not etch well. This is especially true for images that you may want to be very small. The smaller the image to be etched the more the fine details will be lost. Sizing recommendations will be made if we believe your image is too small.
- Each item of glass that we etch is hand sandblasted, if you order multiples of a product with a photograph there will be variations in the etches and this is not a flaw of the process, each item is a unique piece of handmade art.